Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Canon 5D Mark III: Out of the Box Basics

Mode Dial
Right after taking the Canon 5D Mark III out of the box, I noticed some glaring differences from my previous Canon cameras. First thing I noticed was the locking Mode Dial at the top, as well as the new Power Switch location.

If you’ve ever had issues with the Mode Dial getting bumped and moved while carrying your camera, and then shooting several images at the wrong setting without realizing it, you’ll quickly appreciate this change that locks the Mode Dial in place. To turn it, you push the center of the button down while turning the knob. I’m actually surprised it took this long for this to be implemented in Canon’s current crop of cameras. Nikon has used this setup for years, and many older film cameras did as well.



I should also mention that Canon offers a conversion to switch out the existing Mode Dial on the 7D and 5D Mark II to this newer style. This allows older cameras to benefit in this new change as well. Pricing for this conversion is set at $100 per camera. For more information see this page on Canon's website.

Power Switch
The Power Switch location isn’t new to some camera owners, like those who have a 7D, but it was a stark difference coming from the 40D like I did. The switch being placed in this location is much more naturally found by my thumb as opposed to being positioned under the Quick Control dial. I’m usually holding the body with two hands when initially pulling it out of the bag and setting it up, which places my thumb directly at the new Power Switch location.

Playback Buttons
Again, not new to all camera owners, but new to this 40D owner was the position of the Playback Buttons. I like how Canon moved them from under the preview screen to the left of the screen. It’s a small change, but it makes a big difference.  It is much easier to press the buttons with my thumb, as opposed to using my index finger on buttons under the LCD screen.


Rear LCD Screen
When it comes to LCD screens, the one on the 5D Mark III is easily viewable. Even outside in bright light. It completely blows away the LCD on the back of my 40D. Measuring 3.2 inches, and just over 1 million pixels, it is sharp and crisp. The anti-reflective coating on it really plays a significant benefit with outdoor use. All of this makes it a snap to check a photo after it had been taken.

Adjustment Buttons
The buttons to change the ISO, White Balance, Auto-Focus, and so on, offer no real surprises. They are placed in what has become a standard position for most of Canon’s lineup. However the Depth of Field preview button has been relocated to the opposite side for the lens. Canon also has made this button’s function customizable as well.


Top LCD Panel
Up on the top of the camera, you’ll find the settings LCD panel.  If I’m not looking though the viewfinder when changing my settings, this is where I’ll typically look while adjusting the camera. It’s rare for me to change settings using the main rear LCD, unless the camera is mounted on a tripod and it’s easier to look at the back. Most of the items shown in this LCD are standard fare, remaining unchanged throughout several camera iterations. In the cases of the setting location being stable, that’s not a bad thing at all, as it helped get me up to speed quickly!



I was happy to see that the remaining shot counter on this LCD screen has a max number of 1999, as opposed to 999 like found on my 40D. When you throw that high capacity memory card in for a shooting session or trip, and all you see is 999, you don’t know exactly how many shots are remaining. It could actually be 999, or a whole lot more. So so you pack, or buy, more memory cards? Who knows in that scenario!

Quick Control Button
A new button to me is the Q (Quick Control) button, found right under the Multi-Controller. It is very helpful when navigating through the menu system, as it swaps between tabs. The Multi-Controller will flip you though individual sections within each tab. The Q button will also bring up the camera settings on the rear display, should you prefer to set them via the rear of the camera.

Quick Control Dial
The Quick Control Dial remains on the back of the camera, just as it has for years. I can’t say enough about how much I appreciate this single control as opposed to the various buttons used on the Rebel camera line that continue today. The usefulness of the Quick Control dial when going through the settings and during playback mode is very useful. So much, that it is often one of the items I point out when someone is deciding between a Canon Rebel or the Prosumer line.

Lock Switch
Right under the Quick Control Dial is a lock switch. It’s a simple two-way switch that locks the control that it is associated with. Using the Custom Function Settings, you can set this lock to work for the Main Dial, Quick Control Dial, or the Multi-Controller.

Dual Card Slots
The last camera-specific items I’ll mention is found under the memory card door. You’ll notice that there are two card slots here, one for Compact Flash, and the other for SD cards. In addition to maintaining a wider memory card type compatibility, you have the option of using these cards in a couple of different ways. There are some benefits, and disadvantages, to some of these options though. I’ll cover those in another article more specifically geared towards that topic.


Final Thoughts
If I had any gripe with the button layout/option on the 5D Mark III, it would be with the Rate button. I’m sure it may be useful to some people, but I have no use for it. I personally know of no one who really uses it either, as most photographers simply aren’t going to rate images in the field. I suppose it may help in rare scenarios when you know which shot you really want to use, but again for me that would be rare. The Rate Button is customizable between rating the photo and protecting the image, but more customization options for it would be very useful to me.

I’d like to add that the Canon Battery Grip feels great in my hand, and matches the camera very well. It should, as the grip is pretty pricey! However, I wanted a grip that would provide me access to all the AF and Exposure Lock buttons like the camera has, as well as a Multi-Controller. In short, I wanted the camera to operate in portrait mode, just as well as it operated in landscape mode. I feel the Canon grip does that, while maintaining good build quality, which many of the aftermarket grips fall short in. The battery packs slide in from the side of the camera on a tray, and the grip comes with the option to power it using standard AA batteries. I’ve never had the need to operate in this manner, but if one was in a pinch it could be a handy option to have available.

One last thing I should point out, is the Canon 5D Mark III has no built-in flash. This isn’t a surprise to anyone familiar with Canon’s lineup, but I thought I should point this out for anyone who isn’t up to speed with the 5D and 1D series cameras. Once you step up to the upper echelon of Canon’s camera line, they assume you have an external flash and wouldn’t utilize a built in flash anyway. I know I could count the number of times I used my built-in flash on my 40D on two hands.

I also imagine the exclusion of the flash has a lot to do with the extra space need for the larger sensor and electronics within the camera. Regardless, I want this to serve as a reminder to anyone shopping. Make sure you have an external flash available to you when stepping up to a camera like the 5D Mark III.

Next time, we’ll go through the menu system and I’ll point out some useful settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment